8 Health Hazards Of A Dirty Dryer Vent | New England Clean Air
Your dryer vent works by drawing air out of your dryer, through the hose, and venting it to the outside. When it’s clogged with lint, that air has to go someplace, and it often goes back into your dryer or even into your home. Lint is a serious fire hazard, and clogged vents can also cause mold and mildew problems.
Table of Contents
Here are 8 health hazards of a dirty dryer vent:
- Dryer vents can harbor all sorts of dirt, dust and debris. Lint, hair, pet fur, clothing fibers, dust mites and even mold. All of this can build up over time and cause your dryer to work less efficiently.
- A dryer vent full of lint is a major fire hazard. Dryer lint is highly combustible and can easily ignite, leading to a dangerous house fire. In the US alone, there are an estimated 2,900 dryer-related fires each year.
- A clogged dryer vent can also cause your dryer to overheat, which can damage your dryer and shorten its lifespan. Dryers are one of the most commonly malfunctioning household appliances.
- A dirty dryer vent can also increase your energy bills. A dryer that has to work harder to push air through a clogged vent will use more electricity.
- A dirty dryer vent can also be bad for your health. Mold and dust mites can cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems. If you have allergies or asthma, it’s especially important to keep your dryer vent clean.
- A dryer vent that isn’t properly vented to the outside can also cause moisture damage to your home. This can lead to mold growth and wood rot. When your home has excessive moisture, it’s also more likely to attract pests. Mold growth could also void your home insurance policy because it’s considered a preventable problem.
- A dryer vent can also attract pests. Insects and rodents are attracted to the lint and can make their way into your home through the vent. Pests in your home could potentially lead to health problems such as leptospirosis, salmonella and rat-bite fever.
- A dryer vent can also cause your clothes to wear out faster. Lint and debris can rub against your clothes as they dry, causing them to break down and wear out more quickly. Regular dryer vent cleaning can help extend the life of your clothes.
The bottomline? A dirty dryer vent can cause all sorts of problems – from increased energy bills to dangerous house fires. It’s important to clean your dryer vent regularly to keep your home and family safe.
If you don’t have the time or inclination to clean your dryer vent yourself, there are plenty of professional dryer vent cleaning in New Hampshire that can do it for you. Be sure to choose a reputable company with plenty of experience. There are also dryer vent cleaning kits available for purchase online or at your local hardware store. Whichever route you choose, just be sure to get it done – your home and family will thank you!
And, don’t forget to check out our dryer vent cleaning tips to make sure the job is done right.