A Basic Guide to Central Heating Maintenance
Your gas central heating system has to work for a majority of the time to supply the home with essential heating and hot water, and in order to do this, the system needs maintaining on a regular basis. The boiler is the heart of the central heating system, and you are advised to contact qualified boiler services in Teignmouth every few months and have them service the boiler and generally check that the heating is working at optimum levels.
A typical boiler service would include all of the following:
- Burner Inspection – Checking for a blue coloured flame.
- External Inspection – Looking for leaks and signs of corrosion.
- Flue Examination – The flue takes harmful gases out of the interior and should be checked for obstructions and signs of wear and tear.
- Full Radiator Inspection – With the heating running, the engineer would inspect all the radiators, looking for anything out of the ordinary.
- Thermostat Test – Checking the thermostat for accuracy.
Pre-Winter Boiler Service
While many UK homeowners have their central heating serviced twice a year, you at least need to service the boiler once before the winter arrives, which will prepare for the heavy use of the winter. Any issues would promptly be addressed, and once the heating has been given the all-clear, you can rest assured you will have a warm and cosy winter.
Signs of Ageing
Any boiler that is older than 5 years should be carefully examined, as this is around the time when things can start to go wrong. If the heating engineer thinks the boiler has reached the end of its life cycle, he would recommend a replacement unit.