Home Improvement: Securing Funds for Renovation
Your house will need to undergo renovation in time. It is either because it is already old and requires repair, you want to bring a new look to it, or you want to improve your home’s resale value. However, you have to have funds to support this activity. That is why you have to include home improvement in your budget plan. By the time renovation is all good to go, you will have money to use for that.
Fortunately, you have plenty of ways you can choose from to finance home remodel. Generally speaking, your budget will be one of the main concerns before you can proceed with any substantial changes in your house. This article will provide details about them to help you select.
Table of Contents
Ways to Fund a Renovation Project
Are you lacking enough funds for your home improvement? That’s not a problem. In this case, you need to choose the proper funding that fits your needs, whether a simple modification or a significant one. There are many avenues where you can get funding for your project. Below are six options you can consider:
1. Home Equity Loan
The first option you can choose is loaning an amount based on your home equity. Choosing it as the way to finance your home improvement involves the following benefits:
- Home equity loans involve tax-deductible interest rates.
- It also offers low-interest rates since your home is the collateral for this loan.
- You can borrow at least 80 percent of your home’s value as long as you own it outright.
Even though you can use your home as collateral, it is best to ensure that your renovations are not higher than its equity.
2. Homeowner Mortgage Loan
This loan involves having extra funds for home improvements. You can borrow up to 90 percent of your home’s value. However, you can use a mortgage payment rate calculator to know how much you can borrow. This option is an excellent chance to spread the cost over an extended period.
3. Building and Construction Loan
This loan is almost similar to a home equity loan aside from taking into account the final value of your home. In this loan, you will not be paying the building costs’ interest until the work is complete. The lender will also give you the loan in staggering amounts.
4. Personal Loan
You can also apply for a personal loan to get funds for your home renovation. In this case, you can apply for this loan at banks or government institutions. However, you have to know that the interest rates in this loan are higher than in a home equity loan.
5. Refinancing Existing Home Loan
You can also consider refinancing if you have an existing home loan. It is one option you can use to secure extra funds for your renovation. In this case, you can replace your current loan with a new mortgage. It will involve flexible repayment terms, a new interest rate, monthly installments, and the outstanding balance.
6. Credit Cards
This option is in favor of minor renovation projects only. You can access this option swiftly since you do not need to fill out application forms. In this case, you will only swipe your card to buy the materials you need for the minor improvement you will have.
The options above are good choices to secure funds for your renovation. You only have to select the one that will match the scale of your home improvement. Aside from that, choose the option that will best favor your financial status. Here are a few tips to help you decide which way is right for your needs:
- You can try asking for recommendations and feedback from your family or friends who recently did a home improvement project.
- It is also essential to balance the pros and cons. You have to ensure that you are loaning an amount for the right reasons. Given this point, ask yourself if what you will improve can add to your home’s value.
- Aside from that, you also have to compute how much you need in actuality. You don’t want to risk your home due to foreclosure.
- You also have to keep your credit score in good shape. It will be a factor for loan approval.
- Furthermore, you have to compare all the details between these options. It is best to balance their pros and cons to see which option is convenient for you in the long run.
You don’t have to sweat finding funding for your home renovation. In effect, there are many ways you can finance your home improvement needs. You only have to keep in mind not to make rash decisions. You have to ensure that your choice will help you achieve the completion of your home remodel project.